Thursday, March 12, 2009

My New Year's Resolution, first quarter

The first 2.5 months of my new year's rez are completed. I'm giving up the soda for a year. Here are some noticeable results (remember, I'm doing this to significantly cut down on my high fructose corn syrup intake).

1. My twitches are down about 90 percent. They still strike me a bit, but they are weaker and have a much shorter duration.

2. The other health problems I mentioned in my original post are gone.

3. I miss caffeine. I've got come iced tea, which I hate but is drinkable when I need a caffeine boost. So far, I have had 2glasses of the stuff in about 3 weeks of having it in the house.

4. My tongue still yearns for the sweet, fizzy goodness that is soda. The key here for future consumption after this year will be how much I like it when I try one on January 1. If it makes me sick, then I may quit forever.

5. My water intake has increased considerably now that I don't have a gentle bubble massage and sugar coating for my tongue when I get thirsty.

6. I'm tired a lot. This is not new, but the soda wasn't the cause. Probably school is the cause. Maybe I'll quit that for next year's resolution.

2 comments:

almamater said...

Chris,

We are currently undertaking a sugar free diet. Here is a suggestion:

sparkling water + 100% cranberry juice + stevia (mix to taste) = yummy, very healthy, sweet fuzzy drink. Or substitute the pricey cranberry juice is lemon or lime juice.

Or if you do drink 100% juice (without the added sugars, just the natural ones) just mix it with sparkling water and it is yummy fuzzy, albeit caffiene free.

Or, you could just pop for the Mexican Coke in a glass bottle which is pricier, but sweetened with cane sugar rather than HFCS...as are the funky flavored Jones Co. Sodas. Izze is my favorite bottled sparkling fruit juice beverage, but also caffiene free, I am afraid.

Mercutio said...

I like your ideas here. The last one, I probably couldn't get away with without feeling like I am cheating.

Time attempt fizzy water concoctions!

Followers