Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Tenure

So there I was, sashaying into class. Not a care in the wo . . . Hey, there are some hot girls in this freshman-level class. Maybe I'll sit nearby.

First day, senior-level swagger. Safely stowing my studious materials under my chair. An empty desk is best for learni . . . flirting. Pzzt! Ahhh! Mt. Dew in the late morning. Cheetos for pre-lunch.

An outgoing girl in front of me. Her quiet friend whispering to her. Sure, fine ladies, you can have some Cheetos. I don't mind. (Note to self, Cheetos = conversation starter.) Hey, why don't we sit together every class.

Physical Science teacher preparing for class. First overhead says, Phisycal Sceince 101. It's going to be a good class; I can tell.

The relative easiness of the class means I don't really have to pay attention or work too hard, but I don't dare use any of my alloted "skips" for this class. Our crew is now 3 good-looking girls and me. Why would I skip?

As the months roll by, I start hanging out with one of the girls and her group of friends outside of class (the quiet one, though not so quiet anymore). She intrigues me, but more in the lifelong-friend category. Spending time together, forming bonds of shared experiences, meshing personalities.

A sudden-onset smidge of jealousy forces her to confront her feelings for me and to confront me with these feelings. The subsequent roller coaster ride.

That was ten years ago when it started......when I met Hanna......over Cheetos. The lifelong friend. Romance is just a bonus!

Congratulations, you officially have tenure, babe. Along with the many other benefits you will receive, the most important one now is that I cannot fire you.

6 comments:

Ouph said...

Oh that's such a relief. I've been so worried about getting fired!

I suppose I can be cajoled into tolerating another ten years of you...if you ask nicely! :)

almamater said...

Boy, you really had me at the opening a Mt. Dew can...I mean I thought you'd given that up. Whew! So relieved.

Amber said...

Alas, she can no longer have cheetos...however do you start conversations with her now?

Mercutio said...

ROFL



I'll think of something.

mum said...

Ah. that's so sweet. It made me cwry.

Unknown said...

That was flippin' adorable!

Followers