Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Most Awesomely Sad Song Ever

In Dr. Who, a show I enjoy, there is a conversation between two people:

K: What did you come here for anyway?
S: I love old things. They make me feel sad.
K: What's good about sad?
S: It's happy for deep people.

I love that quote because it helps me feel okay about being sad sometimes. In the realm of sadness is the very powerful song Snuff by Slipknot. I'm not usually a Slipknot fan, but this song radiates depth in sadness. Here's the song with lyrics and no pictures.



I find psychological catharis in depressing songs - makes me feel that my fate isn't quite as down as I sometimes think it is. I have too many cheerful things in my life that when I hear a song like this, my mind grasps harder onto what I'm thankful for.

Now to breakdown the song - most of you can do the basic lifting for yourselves. What strikes me is the lack of mercy, compassion, and any kind of forgiveness. He has experienced so much rejection that he reached a breaking point where he just wants to walk away. The song isn't only sad but hopeless - which is much worse than sadness from loss or emptyness.

Hopelessness is the natural response when there are no answers but only emptiness. It is the lack of emotion or connection. Having studied hopelessness from the inside, I realized something. Servanthood is the primary act of restitution.

For me, Acts of Service is the love language (of the 5) that I understand and value the least. But this revelation has increased the value of this love language in my eyes, but only situationally. When the others have been misused and distrust has grown, Acts of Service can finally play a powerful role. It may be the greatest love language, because it speaks of help with no call for reciprocation or payment. Who can argue with the behavior of someone who self-humbles to the point of service? Certainly not me.

1 comment:

Amber said...

Interestingly enough, Acts of Service is my primary love language, followed by physical touch.

Followers