Wednesday, November 12, 2008

New Year's Resolution--The Big One

Truth be told, I hate New Year's Resolutions. I despise them because people make them and break them. I despise them because a good idea is a good idea no matter what time of year it is. My usual question is Why wait until the calendar changes if it's such a good idea?

Anyway. I'm going to attempt one this year. This is a big one, so big in fact that I will need to take a couple months to prepare myself. Are you ready?

I'm going to quit soda. Yeah, that's right. My largest consumption of high fructose corn syrup is in soda. This stuff is not good for me. In fact, it's not good for anyone. So I'm going to knock out the biggest contributing factor. I'm pretty sure I feel its effects working in my body. Soda makes Hanna sick because she's been off of the poison for years. I'm going to try.

As with anything, I believe I can quit more easily than I could "cut back." So I'm going all the way on this one. I expect it will be hard. My tongue craves sweet drinks, so I will have to rely on cranberry juice to help. I only need a little bit of this juice to ease my longing. It's like the nicotine patch for soda addicts.

Keep me accountable, folks! In later blog posts, I will describe the negative effects of soda that are going on in my body.

4 comments:

Ouph said...

YAY! So proud of you dear.

Amber said...

How much soda do you drink a week?

Mercutio said...

Well, at my least, I am at 3 a week. (12 oz cans).

Lately it's been 7 or 8 a week.

Amber said...

Start on a Friday if you can...you'll likely need a few days to get over the headache. Also, when I cut dr. pepper,I found I needed a "fizzy" substitute. I recommend buying club soda (it's like 78 cents a liter) and mixing it with juice. Lessens the calories and sugar, an added bonus!

Followers