Thursday, April 17, 2008

Movie Review: Down With Love

Gains: +6
I have a fondness for good inuendo, and this movie was dripping with it. Every scene either built tension between the main characters or focused on inuendo or both. The acting was robust. Both Ewan McGregor and Renee Zellweger can pull off complicated roles. They even sing several duets for the soundtrack. The side characters had depth and personality. David Hyde Pierce was fantastic. The writing was tight and the dialogue was crisp. Not a word seemed wasted. The plot woos viewers with a mix of tension and humor. Since there are no real antagonists, the plot walks a tightrope between making Ewan's character likeable and detestable. I found myself rooting for him at times and against him at others.

Losses: -2
There is a major shift in the plot at one point. It was awkward. To cover it, Renee gives a extended uncut monologue (camera is on her for 1 or 2 minutes) without a break, which is funny in the way downshifting a car too early is funny. The engine grind sets your teeth on edge and you feel a nervous tingle in your spine. Also, the ending was not as amazing as the rest of the movie. I think the writing was so good that they wrote themselves into too tough a corner to wrap up neatly.

Final Judgement: +4

My thanks to Amber and Donald for stopping my trend of bad movies. I loved this movie. I'm not sure if it has rewatchability, but I'd be willing to try it again in half a year. If you're sensitive to sexual inuendo and find it more uncomfortable than funny, don't watch this movie and don't trust my judgement on it.

1 comment:

Amber said...

I'm glad you liked it. I enjoyed the back-and-forth fast paced diologue (similar to Gilmore Girls, in a way). I usually am not a Renee Zellweger fan, but I think this was very good.

Followers